RNOH Responds to COVID-19 with a Robust Communication Strategy
In 2019, all NHS hospitals were mandated to remove archaic technology, including bleeps (pagers), for non-emergency communications before September 2021. Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (RNOH) NHS Trust quickly began the process to decommission bleeps and replace them with a communication platform from Vocera®.
Since rolling out Vocera, the hospital has reported an 84% improvement in care team response time by replacing pagers with the Vocera smartphone app and hands-free communication badge. After deploying the Vocera solutions, mobilisation of the cardiac arrest team at the 220-bed hospital went from an average of two minutes to 20 seconds.
in Care Team Response
“If I were to give anyone advice when planning for a pandemic or impending patient surge, it would be to unify your communications now.”
—Matt Phillips Lead Clinical Practitioner,
Acute Intervention Team at RNOH
UK: 0 (800) 652-8773
Australia: 1800 014-987
New Zealand: 0800 446 149
Instantly and securely connect physicians, nurses, care teams
Recorded Live in London
Digital Transformation –
How Communication Technology is
Transforming Hospitals during
COVID-19 and Beyond
Dr. Saroj Patel, Chief Digital and Innovation Officer
Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital and Team
Clinical Perspective & Benefits Delivered
- Contact the person you require immediately. No more waiting after bleeping someone and wondering if they have received it.
- Integration into EHR systems.
- No need for bleep number lists or telephone directories.
- The ability to activate a medical emergency from the bedside and have staff respond immediately.
- Delivered a resilient emergency call system, with live analytics.
to clinical workflow.
Matt PhillipsLead Clinical Practitioner, Acute Intervention Team
Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital
“At no point during the COVID-19 crisis did we worry about communication. Vocera technology has proved to us that we have a truly robust communication strategy.”
Pauline RobertsonHead of Nursing for the Medicine and Therapies at RNOH
“Vocera technology sped up communication and coordination during the peak of the COVID-19 crisis. It helped us provide seamless patient care without risking infection.”
Bela HariaInformation Management and Technology Senior Project Manager at RNOH
“Our doctors are now prolific Vocera smartphone app users!”
Vocera Can Help
- Vocera was founded in 2000. Our mission is to simplify and improve the lives of healthcare professionals and patients, while enabling hospitals to enhance quality of care and operational efficiency.
- Hands-free, wearable Badge with dual band WiFi and lightweight design
- Secure text messaging that is encrypted and traceable
- Device of choice: iPhone, iPad, Android smartphones and tablets, Cisco and Spectralink VOIP handsets, desktop PCs, and Vocera Badges
- Integrations with 150+ clinical systems
- Staff assignment and role based calling