The CXO Roundtable was chock full of insights and approaches to humanizing the healthcare experience. Day 2 featured technology solutions to help hardwire human connections, speakers from Stanford’s Clinical Excellence Research Center who are pushing boundaries on putting the science behind the human experience, and brilliant insights from other industry thought leaders. Here are the top 10 pearls of wisdom from day 2 of the fall 2014 CXO Roundtable.
- We can learn a lot from positive deviants.
- Technology doesn’t have to be a distraction – it can facilitate the human connection.
- Everyone deserves access to world-class medicine.
- We should focus our attention on the people who embody the culture of human experience, not the “we-bes.”
- A “free” pilot isn’t free – choose your battles.
- Leaders are likely to be blamed for problems – whether they caused them or not. It takes a thick skin and a good support system.
- Seventeen years is too long to wait for medical breakthroughs to disseminate.
- The best predictor of whether a doctor will follow a protocol is if she wrote it.
- High-functioning primary care practices are characterized by the joy they bring to practice.
- Our best days are in front of us. It’s a hard journey, but one that’s worth every step.
We are eternally grateful to the amazing physicians, nurses, administrators, innovators, and mavericks who make the CXO Roundtable possible. We’ll see you all at the spring 2015 CXO Roundtable, May 6-7 in San Francisco – mark your calendars!